Making Use of an Old Computer

by: Kimberly A. Griffiths

Five years ago I completed my my masters degree and to celebrate this achievement, I purchased a refurbished Dell computer. It's amazing what my computer has helped me do:

I wrote my book, Becoming Debt Free One Paycheck at a Time, and what seems to be endless edits

I created the One Paycheck at a Time website, and the ongoing redesigns

I surf the Internet constantly looking for new ideas to share for my monthly newsletters

I must have written thousands and thousands of emails to customers, vendors, friends, and family members.

Over the years, my computer has had its share of hardware and software issues. And, without a good computer repair person, I'd be completely lost. When my computer acts up and is really temperamental, I've seriously considered throwing it out of the window! Can you relate?

I've decided that my old computer is now too slow to keep up with the expectations and demands I place on it. Instead of adding to the over-burdened landfills, I've decided to donate much of the hardware. I'm keeping the accessories since I haven't worn out my monitor, speakers or mouse yet but I will donate these when their time comes as well. TechSoup.org connects nonprofits with donated and discounted technology products. To donate a computer or its parts, plug in your zip code in their location finder. Local recycle companies which service local schools and nonprofits in your area will be listed so that you can contact them directly.

Here are the advantages of donating your computer:

Recycling is always good for the environment

Knowing that a student will have access to a computer makes you feel good

And, get a receipt documenting your donation -- you get to write this off of your taxes!